Austin, Texas is not only its capital but is also its fourth most populated city. Located on the Colorado River, modern Austin is known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”. Another nickname has also caught on, especially in the downtown’s south side area around the neighborhood of Travis Heights. The creative culture around South Congress (its boundary to the east) encourages careful growth to protect unique, independent businesses and welcomes everyone to “Keep Austin Weird”.
General Stacy and others founded Travis Heights in the 1890s, but most development started in the 1920s. Along with South Congress on the east, the neighborhood’s boundary on the north is Lady Bird Lake (Riverside Drive). On the west is I-35 while, on the south the boundary is Oltorf Street.
Home ages from properties built in the 1880s to new construction, with many remodeled homes. Its close proximity to Downtown Austin, convenient access to Bergstron International Airport (a 15 minutes’ drive away), access to major highways and nearby restaurants, boutiques, and coffee shops make Travis Heights one of Austin’s most sought-after residential areas.
Homes for sale in Travis Heights list from $385,000 to as much as $4,500,000 but most prices average $800,000 to $976,000. The community is composed of older mansions, quaint bungalows and hip apartments. The neighborhood’s residents are a diverse population of eclectic families, artists and young urban professionals. The majority of the available houses are two bedroom bungalows with oak tree-shaded yards. Many have views of downtown and the Blunn Greenway.
There are multiple city parks and other amenities to enjoy in Travis Heights. These include:
- Little Stacy Park: tennis courts, basketball court, wading pool and playground.
- Big Stacy Park: large free natural spring swimming pool; extensive hiking and biking trails.
- 40 Acre Blunn Creek Nature Preserve and protected Natural Greenbelt.
- South Austin Park and Recreation Center: classes, sports fields and courts, indoor gym.
- McKinney Falls State Park: within 15-minute drive
- Texas Hill Country: less than 10 minutes away
- Lady Bird Lake and Sand Beach Park: on the northern edge Travis Heights
- Easy access to SoCo or parks by walking or biking within the neighborhood.
Award-winning schools include:
- Travis Heights Elementary: in the neighborhood
- Fullmore Middle School
- Henry Middle School: in the neighborhood
- Austin High School
- Travis High School: in the neighborhood
Real estate for sale in Travis Heights is always in high demand. If you would like to view any of the current listings available, contact one of our professionals at Hopkins Real Estate. We will be glad to make an appointment to meet with you, listen and talk with you about all your real estate needs.